Thymol

Philbee

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apilife Var ..... each 100g contains 76.6G Thymol, 16G Eucalyptus oil, 3.7G Camphor and 3.7G Menthol.

I have not used it. A friend did and you could smell it on the hive from several yards away.

If you go onto beekeepingforum.co.uk and do a search for Apilife Var there are a lot of posts from 2010.

I have not heard of thymol resistance either. resistance to Apistan is widespread in the UK. Apivar is little used due to licensing issues, so I can't comment on that although I would expect it to occur. I have used Apilife Var and it's OK. As with Apiguard, don't use it with honey on the hive.

The beekeepingforum thread looks very much like a red herring and thymol is generally effective. I say 'generally' as occasionally the odd colony does not benefit from thymol too much - I think this is due to the way the bees respond to thymol or sometimes re-invasion rather than a varroa 'resistance.'

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi there saw this listing on Trade me

Thymol Crystalls

Thymol Crystalls. Price is for 100 grams but larger amounts can be supplied.

Beekeeping

Varroa Mite Control or to prevent Sugar syrup fermenting. Many other uses.

Please ask if requiring larger amounts eg 1kg or more - for price $15.00/100grams

Sorry link came up like this but someone in Wanganui it seems

CHCHPAUL. What's the lecithin about.

Hey Mike, it's the emulsifier so it all mixes together and stays together, rather than the ingredients separating when sitting in the feeder.

I've made mine and it, so far, is going to plan. Can't tell you if it stops the syrup fermenting yet though...

Hey Mike, it's the emulsifier so it all mixes together and stays together, rather than the ingredients separating when sitting in the feeder.

I've made mine and it, so far, is going to plan. Can't tell you if it stops the syrup fermenting yet though...

Thanks. Hope it works. Keep us posted

• 3 years later...
On 10/05/2017 at 8:08 PM, CHCHPaul said:

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try making this: Thymolised Syrup to stop my syrup fermenting. I'm feeding fairly late because some of my colonies are eating themselves out of house and home! If anyone has some experience with it and has suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Make fondant, glycerine, gelatine, glouose syrup,icing sugar,water.mix to a dough. Place on top of frame.winter feed