Dansar Bees - Warre hive

dansar

I will be posting photographs through the season to show the progress of my Warre hive/s. I only have one running with bees at the moment.

I will start with some photos when I AFB check in the next couple of weeks. Varroa strips are in at the moment and interestingly I left 2 boxes of honey on and upon putting strips in about 3 weeks ago they hadnt even consumed half of the first honey super despite it being a very big (for a warre hive) winter colony.

5992eaf688915_WarreHive_DansarLogo.jpg.26ed854745438312e2344a573cd2e888.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The stencil cutting has been very well done. Who cut it out for you.(y):whistle:

Well I did that one before I got the stencil:p I printed the picture and laid it on the end and traced around the edges to embos the timber, then I coloured it in with black vivid. Nearly 4 years later it is still there albeit a bit faded, time to spruce it up with another lick of paint as well.

I showed this to my middle child yesterday she was about 6 when I made it. I should take another one with her beside this season.

5992eaf843a96_SDDownload148.jpg.345db4d68872834d0391a5ddcb55d355.jpg

Any way a bit of a precursor to how I originally populated the hive.

I started with making my own Topbar hive.

5992eaf8754a6_1sttopbar.jpg.0a6ad14dd65d192e314fabe06bb3ecf6.jpg

Then as my skills in making firewood reduced I took on a Warre Hive, the one you see at the start of the thread.

The Topbar hive progressed well from a swarm collected one windy October day. So well in fact it filled the whole length in brood and very little honey.

5992eaf87db78_Topbarbrood.jpg.b5ae8cff049081024ac3fb54122c56fa.jpg

Having made the Warre hive I wanted to populate that before the season ended. To do this I took brood comb and cut it to size to fit in the frames I made for the Warre.

It was messy and lots of stingy angry bees but I got the job done. A mated queen was purchased and inserted in the hive following the recommendations given to me.

Success! I had a fully operating Warre hive.

The Topbar hive died during the winter....(New beekeper thinking that varroa werent that bad). Fortunately the Warre made it through the winter despite no treatment. I treated with Apivar in the spring.

I cut the comb up from the Topbar hive and used it to give the Warre a head start and allowed the queen to have more comb to lay in.

5992eaf886229_Topbartowarre.jpg.9dd340eaef4f34383049079f20493cb7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well hive inspection yesterday.

The bees have been very frugal through winter with two boxes of honey still on the hive, they have back filled with nectar:confused:

But..........lots of pollen in the brood box and no brood, no queen either no queen cells. Bees are calm though not acting queenless. So a thought is that there is a virgin queen and any sign of queen cells have been torn down. I am a little bit suspicious though as the brood cells are polished like they are expecting laying to take place.

The Flying population has reduced considerably as well, no brood to feed plenty of food on board. I need a mated queen to get them functioning again.

• 1 month later...

Well what can I say...these bees are suicidal. First the hive went queen less with no queen cells or swarm cells present. A mated queen was introduced via a cage and was released in a couple of days, she's dead... A queen cell added on Friday last week. Queen emerged, possibly in there, likely not. cHeck today reveals a laying worker with the cells full of eggs like buck shot. So I will wait another week to see if there is a virgin queen somewhere and goes on a mating flight and starts laying in a couple of weeks. The hive is quickly running out of options. The next being to unite to the top of a langstroth to get the Lang queen and nurse bees up in there and laying, the plan from there is to get them to raise their own queen.

• 8 months later...
Are you still running the warre Dan ?

No bees in it. They committed suicide. 3 attempts at re-queening by various methods and they destroyed / killed queens each time. By the time they finally sorted themselves out and self raised a viable laying queen the colony was small and wax moth had moved in. I shook the bees off the frames and let them beg their way in to my other hives. I might start one up again in spring with a swarm if I get o collect any.

I've no experience with laying workers but it is an interesting subject, I read somewhere that it is best to open the hive (warm conditions) and dump out all the bees on to the grass outside the hive. Insert a mated queen into the hive and then let the bees crawl back in of their own accord. Apparently the laying workers will stay outside. Maybe my memory of this is wrong, but did you try anything like that and it didn't work?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So @dansar did you get a spring swarm into the Warre and if so how's it going? I'm getting one shortly and there is an opportunity to include a late (2kg)swarm with food stores if it proves queen-right in these couple of weeks. As it will be in the same area as my TBH I'm wondering about the pros and cons. Eg if it struggles does it set up a robbing opportunity. Apparently the swarm rehived is foraging well. I am leaning to go for it hopeful of a kind Autumn and a learning opportunity. I suspect there's a divergence of opinion (of course) but all grist to the mill.

So @dansar did you get a spring swarm into the Warre and if so how's it going? I'm getting one shortly and there is an opportunity to include a late (2kg)swarm with food stores if it proves queen-right in these couple of weeks. As it will be in the same area as my TBH I'm wondering about the pros and cons. Eg if it struggles does it set up a robbing opportunity. Apparently the swarm rehived is foraging well. I am leaning to go for it hopeful of a kind Autumn and a learning opportunity. I suspect there's a divergence of opinion (of course) but all grist to the mill.

My first Warre was populated from my top bar hive. I cut the comb with brood and stores and fitted it in to my Warre frames. From there on any new Warre colonies were splits from the main hive. I haven't run a Warre this season as I am operating at small commercial level and manufacturing beehive components.

Archived