The bee-Varroa-virus complex in New Zealand

Dave Black

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The great thing about this work is the measure of viral titres as well Dave.

Agree. I found this paper from Elke Genersch helpful with respect to titres, I hadn't really understood the significance before. I still don't really understand what the unit of measurement means.

Deformed wing virus: replication and viral load in mites (Varroa destructor) (2009). Gisder, S., Aumeier, P., and Genersch, E. Journal of General Virology, 90, pp463-467. DOI:10.1099/vir.0.005579-0

This long-awaited study was published yesterday in PloS Pathology as a Open Access publication. This is topic we have discussed here often, for example, Varroa-Virus Interaction in Collapsing Honey Bee Colonies | NZ Beekeepers Forum and we have been waiting for some NZ-specific data for a while, or at least I have.

Mondet F, de Miranda JR, Kretzschmar A, Le Conte Y, Mercer AR (2014) On the Front Line: Quantitative Virus Dynamics in Honeybee (Apis mellifera L.) Colonies along a New Expansion Front of the Parasite Varroa destructor. PLoS Pathog 10(8): e1004323. doi:10.1371/journal.ppat.1004323

Our good news in Otago is that Alison Mercer will be talking at our NBA Field Day being held on Sunday 19 October in Lawrence. Title is:"Why does Varroa have such devastating effects on our bees?"

Will be very interesting.

• Like 1

Our good news in Otago is that Alison Mercer will be talking at our NBA Field Day being held on Sunday 19 October in Lawrence. Title is:"Why does Varroa have such devastating effects on our bees?"

Will be very interesting.

I can't wait. Love those field days

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Dave, this paper helps explain last months memo from the USA Centre for Regulatory Effectiveness ( CRE is a US Lobby Group I believe) to the US Pollinator Health Task Force who are looking at bee colony deaths in the USA. They point the finger at varroa and quote MPI data to support this. Document is dated 24/9/2014.I do not know who finances the CRE.

CRE memo_Is Varroa destructor or neonicotinoid pesticides responsible for bee health decline-1.pdf

CRE memo_Is Varroa destructor or neonicotinoid pesticides responsible for bee health decline-1.pdf

USA Centre for Regulatory Effectiveness...They point the finger at varroa and quote MPI data to support this.

That's a pretty long memo! The Centre for Regulatory Effectiveness (CRE) may have some sensible things to say, but it is a source I'd be very reluctant to use. To state a 'common' view it was set up by some of Reagan's ex US Treasury bureaucrats and is regarded as an industry lobby group tying up government legislation in its own red tape. It doesn't find much favour with many scientists and environmental lobby groups. Its title is somewhat ironic, as the aim seems to be to render all legislation ineffective and allow the neo-liberal market 'to do its thing'. One more vocal critic called it 'paralysis by analysis'. It was famous for using the strategy in one of the tobacco company Philip Morris' battles. I try to judge the message rather than the messenger, but I must admit even when I agree with them it's an ally I would be uncomfortable with!

• Like 1

That's a pretty long memo! The Centre for Regulatory Effectiveness (CRE) may have some sensible things to say, but it is a source I'd be very reluctant to use. To state a 'common' view it was set up by some of Reagan's ex US Treasury bureaucrats and is regarded as an industry lobby group tying up government legislation in its own red tape....]

Good information and what I thought the organisation was. Very interested to read that our Deputy Director of MPI is cc'd for the memo and they were quoted, presumably as the source of information about varroa. It appears that MPI is starting to take a stronger interest in bees than they have had.