Is pollen increasing in price?

Grant

On the positive side we must remember that pollen is essential for pollination and seed production and that pollen is collected by bees and other insects as an important ingredient in their food supply.

These days we are told that bee pollen is the richest source of vitamins found in nature and in some places it's being marketed as a super food for human consumption.

We can't do without pollen and it's increasing in value.

WWW.STUFF.CO.NZ

You can't avoid pollen whether it be spring or autumn.

At our place they pay beekeeper from 11,75 nzd to 14,1 nzd for raw ( frozen) pollen, dry pollen slightly higher ( the price difference not worthy to dry it). When I say " pay", the buyers usually demand to beek take half the money and other half in beekeeping supplies ( which are overpriced). So as explained, majority of us won't bother with it. I started to change wooden bottom boards with plastic ones ( which have pollen catcher within), but won't collect pollen if something drastic change..

About monocoloured pollen.. The beeks who collect large quantities are usually migratory beeks ( as my mentor), and here are forages which are abundant with pollen - OSR, false indigo bush, chestnut, lime, sunflower. That is why it tends to be monocoloured. 

On pic is pollen which I gathered long time ago in early spring, just as trivia, not to point something..

pollen.jpg

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1