Death of an old queen, replacement by new queen.

Alastair

21 hours ago, Alastair said:

Today I caught a video of an old queen and the supersedure. Unfortunately I was checking for AFB and shook the comb before I noticed the queens so haven't got them together.

The first video shows the old queen she has been chewed at by the young queen and has already lost a wing and had 2 or 3 of her legs damaged, she does not look like she will be around much longer.

The next video is the young queen you will see she is very energetic. The bees were pretty riled up cos I had been shaking them off the combs so not really displaying natural behavior. Hopefully I will find a hive with 2 queens together without disturbing too much, and be able to film the old queen being dogged by the young one.

Oh, the music? Not my choice, just what was playing on the truck radio 

I opened a hive and saw two bees together and could not make sense of it until I realised that one of the bees was the new queen wrapped around and trying to smother , sting the old queen

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

That's interesting Kaihoka, was the young queen mated by that time or still unmated?

If a virgin, not totally rare for people to see them fighting because the urge is so strong in them. But if you saw a mated queen attacking the old one, you have seen something a lot of beekeepers never see, because as soon as the hive is opened, the natural behaviour often stops. People just see the two queens near each other, but not the fighting that has been going on.

Edited by Alastair

On 22/10/2020 at 8:39 PM, Alastair said:

That's interesting Kaihoka, was the young queen mated by that time or still unmated?

If a virgin, not totally rare for people to see them fighting because the urge is so strong in them. But if you saw a mated queen attacking the old one, you have seen something a lot of beekeepers never see, because as soon as the hive is opened, the natural behaviour often stops. People just see the two queens near each other, but not the fighting that has been going on.

The hive had superseded the queen .

If I remember rightly they were co existing the week before .

I am sure that the new queen attacking was mated .

• Good Info 1