Codling Moth

cBank

Hello everyone, I’ve been following along silently and there have been many helpful posts on the forum over winter.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice about codling moth?

They really hit the apple tree hard last season and I want some apples this year. The tree is about 6m from my hives 3 hives.

I’ve read up a bit (reducing moth habitat, traps/monitoring and spraying seems the standard methods) and had a search here too.

All the treatment options I’ve read up on seem to be marked as fairly ineffective except for spraying. The sprays all seem to be recommended at late blossom stage and seem to be pretty broad in what they hit. I’m yet to see one that actually mentions the effect on bees.

Asking in store results in staff reading the packing and saying variations on “bees aren’t listed, it should be fine”.

I have my concerns.

If all the options are bad, the moths can have the apples. The tree looks nice and I prefer the bees, but I would like some apples.

You can make homemade traps using treacle and vinegar and a dash of ammonia from memory (google it). Its supposed to be a lure to tell you when to hang the pheremone sticky traps, but if you keep filling the homemade ones (using soft drink bottles or milk bottles) then they work pretty well on their own I've found

• Like 3