The Conundrum

jamesc

OK ...... We are commercial beekeepers , right ?

We keep bees to make a living. Many of us do other things to supplement the cash flow and make a living. 

Most bee operations are doing alright at the moment. A few are struggling, not too many or it would be national news ..... right ?

So, here is the conundrum.

In these Covid Days the Gvt is giving money away to try and resucitate the economy before it needs a jump pack electric boost. Part of that is that they are giving away 100k, interest free for a year.

I pricked my ears up at this.   What could I do with 100k for a year ..... what venture could I sink that cash into for twelve months and then hand it back and pocket anther 100k

It's a bit like one of those biblical stories where some handed it back having made nothing, some squandered it and lost it, and some invested it wisely and made a dollar.

I could spend it on Fert and some regressing on the farm and run more stock, but I need more capital to buy more stock, and farming is a long term game that would take another twelve or eighteen months to generate a return.

Or I could invest it in the bees .... they have always had the greatest and quickest return on capital of most agricultural enterprises.

Or perhaps we should buy a 3D printer and churn out some form of life enhancing Covid saviour.

Or maybe we just say 'Thanks, but no thanks'. 

Grab it.  I think you are sitting on a domestic market hideaway with an assortment of activities and animals.  How much to fly em in on a chopper, inspect hives, give em a pot of honey produced on the property, honeyed spit roast, farm animals, dogs etc, guided walk.  They will luv the double seater long drop.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stoney said:

@jamesc what about the 1bt scheme? 4.5k per hectare.. get ya planting spade out and dig in your 60% high grade Manuka seedlings.. 40% flax in the creeks and gully’s. The bees can feed... bit longer term but the long games what we play right? 

Yo... we are working on that.

Just thought I’d put it out there to see if anyone was taking up this Gvt free money.

But Bee Keepers dont share too much... right?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Just thought I’d put it out there to see if anyone was taking up this Gvt free money.

Free money... hmm too good to be true perhaps.
100k would go well towards heli time slinging hives in somewhere special.. any DOC concessions available ? 

Edited by yesbut
Grr spelling

I read a story recently about a family who are doing commercial composting. They use tiger worms and these are used on sludge from sewerage treatment plants and other sources of green waste to make compost. I don't know if the canterbury dairy farms have sludge they periodically need to remove from effluent ponds but there is absolutely no question that there is money-in-muck. $100k might be enough to start up a hectare of this where trucks can dump the stuff into trenches. I understand you have to add green material too. At the end of it you won't be needing to buy much fertiliser and hopefully you've made a return on the investment as each truck rolls in. Just need to figure out how far people are currently trucking this muck and if you could be closer in enough cases to make it easier. You'll need a digger, a loader and a shredder. It will be a long long time before we are overstocked with composting places.

11 hours ago, Maggie James said:

Ghastly tasting honey, granulates & unextractable

This doesn't appear to be a problem in Canterbury, but certainly a problem in parts of the Nth Is, and I understand at times in the Invercargill area where the farm shelter belts are mainly harakeke.  For me however, I am v appreciative of the amount I get for spring buildup, which only appears in the brood boxes and consumed before a flow