Brood versus Bee removal

Gino de Graaf

On 16/08/2020 at 5:02 PM, Gino de Graaf said:

I would if it works for both parties.

Need someone who's happy to take bees as I find them. Can't really sell something which isn't fixed deal.

Howzit Gino,Id be keen to take/buy any excess bees/frames of brood you dont know what to do with, after Ted has been sorted. Myself and a couple of mates have two new blocks we need to get hives on and im also rearing a few queens for myself this year.Let me know if this can happen.

2 hours ago, Phil46 said:

Howzit Gino,Id be keen to take/buy any excess bees/frames of brood you dont know what to do with, after Ted has been sorted. Myself and a couple of mates have two new blocks we need to get hives on and im also rearing a few queens for myself this year.Let me know if this can happen.

Give me a call if you can.

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/08/2020 at 5:57 PM, Stoney said:

Cracks me up.. we complain when our hives are weak little things fighting there way out of winter... then we complain when we crack waxed lids off boxes packed solid with slabs of brood.. 

I don’t do pollination just honey, my issue will be containing/battling swarming.. it seems so far Not all sites are out of control.. will involve a bit of work pulling them back in line but could be worse.

I avoid sugar feeding at all costs except emergency. 

I’d be keen on taking your bulk surplus bees Stoney. I’ve got a few ideas and would be interested in coming to an amicable arrangement if you thought it would work. The willow trees here are just starting, so I’ll give you a call early this week. Paul

On 16/08/2020 at 7:23 PM, Stoney said:

I’d be happy to sell bees but don’t have the contacts. Such a waste to kill them but the simple fact is there’s just too many.. it’s going to be crazy town when the willow comes on. 

Amazing how a man can forget how things were before wintering bees on OA strips ?.

As to package bees, I have been selling spring packages for a while now, here is how I do it.

Advantages are first, money, and second, I can reduce strong hives and forget about swarm control, if I'm good, I can avoid swarming, but have that hive come back to peak just on the flow. I no longer balance hives, or not much, it's a disease risk and it's work. I just knock them back by taking packages, to the desired size. My spring workload is much reduced doing packages.

Selling them is easy peasy, good demand even in these times, I don't advertise so as not to be overwhelmed. Buyers used to be for making increase, but now there is an increasing move for people wanting to boost weak hives.

Price, so you guys know, a large'ish supplier up here is selling them for $110 per KG. Me, I'm not quite so greedy, I'm selling them for $40 per KG but that is about to go up probably 50%.

package making.JPG

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

6 hours ago, yesbut said:

The sooner council yank all our willows out the better. Turns out the box of honey I left on my hives was willow dew. Two nearly starved out.

I think willows around here in spring are a good food source. I haven't checked but usually about now I think. It seems unfair to blame the willow for the introduction across the NZ border of the GWA.

5 hours ago, Alastair said:

I no longer balance hives, or not much, it's a disease risk

Talking of package bees, if bees are shaken off/out, and all the capped brood left then I guess there is some skill in making sure the right number of bees are left behind to keep the developing brood warm and fed in order to rebuild for the flow.

Does all the brood make it or in terms of swarm control are you not worried if some is chilled. I guess the packages don't have much disease risk, that (disease if any) is in the brood, but brood are staying where they are so nothing is being spread. [if I have this right?].

Hey Chris, far as AFB goes I've not had any for 3 or so years. However you can never drop your guard, I practise safe beekeeping, in such a way as that if AFB ever did appear, it is not unknowingly transferred. IE, don't feed honey, don't balance unless essential, that sort of thing.

Very occasionally I'll lose some brood but I started making packages around 45 years ago so have it pretty sussed. If the weather forecast is OK for a week or so, and I'm doing say a 2 decker hive, I might shake all bees from the brood box and maybe some from the honey box. Can leave the hive pretty empty, but the old bees upstairs and flying bees that escaped can come down and keep that brood warm even though spread pretty thin.  Brood cycle is 21 days so in only 2 days 10% of them will have hatched, or in 4 days 20% of them will have hatched, and start generating warmth. Just got to be sure there is not a cold snap in the next few days. Any reasonable 2 decker at this time of year can give 2 kg's of bees, and a super good hive might give 4 kg's.

But it does knock the stuffing out of them swarming wise, if I see swarm cells I don't even bother dealing to them, I hit the hive hard so there is just no way they can swarm, they might requeen instead.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 2

On 18/08/2020 at 5:57 PM, Stoney said:

it seems so far Not all sites are out of control.. will involve a bit of work pulling them back in line but could be worse.

I avoid sugar feeding at all costs except emergency. 

Welcome to give me a call@CHCHPaul .. over the last week or so I’ve been using power sites to patch up the weak hives.. wanted to even them out pre willow flow which has now begun. First cells of the season are ready end of this week, so will be making tops and nucs up as well. 
Been a real chalk and cheese of strength for me this season since leaving half my hives on their summer sites up country til a fortnight or so back, not used to seeing only  2 frames of brood in August but sure been handy to have those weak seats ready to receive a donation.

• Like 1