Marie Condo vs Might come in Handy

Sailabee

Message added by Mummzie

Split from Macrocarpa bee Boxes

7 hours ago, jamesc said:

@Sailabee , who the heck is Marie condo ....

Marie Condo is now a very rich lady who made her dosh convincing a whole lot of non beekeepers that the most important thing to do in life is to throw out everything that is not urgently needed today, and those few things you retain to survive - particularly clothes had to be folded very precisely. In beekeeping, it would mean only buying a new box and frames as it needed to go on a hive, and as soon as you finished with it, if you weren't sure you would need it again very soon, send it to the landfill where it could be with most of your previous possessions.

The beekeepers I know naturally subscribe to the antithesis of this and quickly develop the collection of 'come in handy someday' stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

My lovely neighbour embraced this concept, twice! Then she discovered she’d thrown out things that in hindsight she needed. Cost her hundreds of dollars to replace just one of these things that no longer “bought joy”. 

I’m an unashamed hoarder, which comes in handy when someone decides to start a project and the shops are shut. 

I just need better storage solutions!

• Like 2

I watched some maire Condo videos and wondered what she would make of my husbands shed .

And what she would make of most of the sheds around here .

I watched her fold a babies jump suit and thought that women could probably show me how to fold fitted sheets .

Edited by kaihoka

31 minutes ago, Bron said:

My lovely neighbour embraced this concept, twice! Then she discovered she’d thrown out things that in hindsight she needed. Cost her hundreds of dollars to replace just one of these things that no longer “bought joy”. 

I’m an unashamed hoarder, which comes in handy when someone decides to start a project and the shops are shut. 

I just need better storage solutions!

I am also a total hoarder, and have given up the sorted storage dream, as I am now old enough to claim that remembering where things are is a prime insurance against dementia as the challenge is ever growing, that's my story, and I am sticking to it.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Beekeepers are notorious hoarders with the only difference between them being some are tidier than others.

I try and go through everything at least once a year and if it's passed its use by date or broken beyond repair then I get rid of it.

This of course does not apply to tools, timber or something that might come in handy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Rubbish will expand to fill all storage space.

That is the second law of rubbish....

Now, the first law of rubbish is: If you have an open mind everyone will throw their rubbish in it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Bron said:

@Trevor Gillbanks, I’m gripe is that himself has a double garage filled with useful things. I get half a bedroom wall!

I must be doing okay.?

I have 2 x double garage sized sheds 2 x insulated shipping containers some under house storage and one room in the house as an office/honey store. Mind you Maria has a dedicated room/office of her own.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Shaun said:

I must be doing okay.?

I have 2 x double garage sized sheds 2 x insulated shipping containers some under house storage and one room in the house as an office/honey store. Mind you Maria has a dedicated room/office of her own.

Plenty of places to get away from each other.

It must be hell for couples in apartments .

Do any NZ apartments not have kitchens like they do overseas

5 hours ago, Shaun said:

I must be doing okay.?

That’s a serious amount of handy stuff. 

4 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Do any NZ apartments not have kitchens like they do overseas

Yep, the inner city stacked shoebox type apartments in Auck don't have a kitchen, and the bed is high enough to put a desk/drawers under it. had a friend who did a locum as a letting agent, and she reckoned you could stand in the middle of the room (there is only one plus a tiny bathroom) and you could touch all four walls.

• Sad 3