November 2019 Apiary Diary

Trevor Gillbanks

2 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

A random drain. No lid. Deep. 

I wonder at all the safety protocols and I see this. 

A unpleasant surprised for a bleary eyed guy on a wet night 

yeah a bit worse than the usual chainsaws left on the track, pruning or mulch covering the track (both sides of the hives), ditches dug across the track, unmarked irrigation piping, meter high grass with short stumps in it.

2 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

I be off soon, picking up and distributing 80 hives for kiwi Green. 

A few bees clustered under a floor early this morning. I forget what day it is, just keep on going... Over half way with it. 

DSC_0295-1376x774.JPG

Iv had hives swarm and the newly mated queens couldn't find their way in and ended up nesting under the mesh, comb and all. 

Yeah .... I remember way back when ..... we had four flat tyres in the landy when bull roping in Western Australia.  The Landy was cut down and re armoured in plate steel with a roll bar. Bugsy drove and I roped.

So Bugsy drove like a maniac through the spinifex scrub chasing bulls down while I held onto the roll bar for dear life.   

"Throw , throw, throw" he would shout ..... and I'd have to toss the big rope with the loop over the bulls horns and yell " Brake Brake Brake".

We got some .

One Big Man went around the truck and punched a hole in each tyre.

I tell yah ..... for a young and green Pom fresh out from mother , to stand in the Landy with Big Man Bugsy while that ornery bull tried to kill us was something else.

So Bugsy got on the radio for more wheels.

He said he'd light a fire  to mark our position  ...... well .... yah seen the fires on the TV ...... Bugsy's fire  burnt for a week.

We got our tyres though.

Edited by jamesc
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Yure a Pom ?

My best mate was a £10 pom who settled in Australia. His wife made him move to New Zealand when she checked up on the baby one day and found a large snake about to eat it.I've been into the outback a couple of times with him and wish I'd done it myself when I was young.

• Like 2

Earlier , I made some new Queens via queenless splits into nucs from Quiet productive hives . 
Once they queens were laying , I newspaper merged them onto some poor performing hives with a QE, old queen in the bottom , new queen on top . This was about 5 weeks ago . 
Ive been getting to these hives and knocking of the poor queen below and pulling the QE out .

It would appear the removal of the second queen is enough to reduce hive Queen pheromone enough to trigger the production of emergency queen cells , while the good queen continues laying solidly in both boxes . 
Initially I thought they were swarm cells , but the result is predictable enough now to realise they are not .

I just remove them and the hive carries on . 

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1

1 hour ago, M4tt said:

Correct . I do not know which queen they came from 

I tried to make some queens with HD corflute nucs according to their video .

Even with their QE base open over a single box the queen pheromone was not strong enough to stop them making cells prematurely .

It always used to be said  that the bees down here in Canterbury  became self sufficient on ChCh  show week end . That was last w/e .

I ordered another tonne of white sugar today.

Some years we wait for another month before they become self sufficient.

• Agree 1

Gotta agree there james.. my notes say...flow,   no flow,   flow, no flow.. there were noticeable periods today where the tap was off and on.. I’m feeling they’re just holding their own if not slightly going back if anything. 

Roll on the 30 deg sweat shop summer where me jandaled feet are wet with brood frame nectar.. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Gotta agree there james.. my notes say...flow,   no flow,   flow, no flow.. there were noticeable periods today where the tap was off and on.. I’m feeling they’re just holding their own if not slightly going back if anything. 

Roll on the 30 deg sweat shop summer where me jandaled feet are wet with brood frame nectar.. 

Ha ... dream on   ..... we had summer last week !

Anyway, apparently today is 'Man's Day' .

Not really sure what that means .... whether we Men are supposed to talk to each other and share our Manly problems  ...... like who borrowed my spanners out of the shed and did'nt put them back .....

But yes .... this is the time of year when  we are on the cusp .... the bees are looking good with frames of brood ready to hatch and join the workforce  .... thousands of mouths hatching and looking for food , and man oh man , do they pack a saddy ..... very quickly .... if not obliged with some kai ...natural or artificial.

This is the time to be keeping a watchfull eye . Many has been the year when we have taken the syrup tank off the truck and breathed a sigh of relief .... only to put it back on ten days later.

28 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Japanese riding boots .... are they the safety ones ?

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, jamesc said:

Anyway, apparently today is 'Man's Day' .

Not really sure what that means .... whether we Men are supposed to talk to each other and share our Manly problems 

LOL i saw that on the TV tonight, this is man's week. The woman announcing it said in all seriousness that this is a chance for men to get in a huddle and talk about their problems / feelings. Gave me a chuckle anyway. ?

I also saw on TV recently that "men don't talk about their feelings", and that women are 3 times as likely to discuss their feelings, as men. This was supposed to be a problem, but i don't think so. Because the same program said that women suffer 3 times as much mental health problems as men.

To me, the conclusion is obvious. Talking about your mental health problems, causes them. ?

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Alastair said:

LOL i saw that on the TV tonight, this is man's week. The woman announcing it said in all seriousness that this is a chance for men to get in a huddle and talk about their problems / feelings. Gave me a chuckle anyway. ?

I also saw on TV recently that "men don't talk about their feelings", and that women are 3 times as likely to discuss their feelings, as men. This was supposed to be a problem, but i don't think so. Because the same program said that women suffer 3 times as much mental health problems as men.

To me, the conclusion is obvious. Talking about your mental health problems, causes them. ?

Men more likely kill themselves. Especially farmers, like us. Cause they don't express themselves due to the perception of being weak. Woman may have more mental issues probably cause they acknowledge it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Men more likely kill themselves. Especially farmers, like us. Cause they don't express themselves due to the perception of being weak. Woman may have more mental issues probably cause they acknowledge it. 

Exactly..

anyway who would believe those statistics  or any statistics pumped out into the so called news. 

I like the headline..” red meat (or red wine) will shorten your life” which usually makes the 6pm tv slot and is almost always followed a month later with “red meat (or red wine) can extend your life.” 

How’s the big push in going Gino ? You still got a bit to get through? 

Edited by Stoney
  • Agree 1

The vegan movement...

Just about there. Shifted over a hundred last night. All by my lonesome. 

Today's mission, feed those hives and others. Everything gets two feed visits.

60 tonight, then the tail enders.

And the push out. Load at night, drive in morning.

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Exactly..

anyway who would believe those statistics  or any statistics pumped out into the so called news. 

I like the headline..” red meat (or red wine) will shorten your life” which usually makes the 6pm tv slot and is almost always followed a month later with “red meat (or red wine) can extend your life.” 

How’s the big push in going Gino ? You still got a bit to get through? 

Thanks for asking! 

I use this forum share my thoughts. I am a one up team and most decisions I need to make. Sometimes I feel like an island as I am quite disconnected. Most folks have loads of social interaction in a day. I miss that, nothing beats working in a great team. Though I love being my own boss and working to my own beat. 

I also know that you can get over too much social time. 

There, Man week.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1