Damson Gin

Mummzie

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhhhhhhhh. Very similar to Sloe Gin. We make that with our home made ethanol and home grown plums. Havent tried it with honey, but I’ll bet its amazing and would be easy enough to sub the sugar out. 

I tried making plum and apple cider with honey (plum mead). Bit of a fail, but so was the sugar version. I still open a bottle every six months to see if it has improved...

• Like 2

@Dennis Crowley This is my first attempt so have only tried the sugar version- and its sill a work in progress.

I used about 550g plums  (pricked), added 3/4 c sugar in a 1kg jar. Topped up with gin. You have to shake it daily until the sugar is dissolved. The problem I have is the jar lid isn't quite liquid proof, so I have to lick my fingers......Then apparently you are supposed to leave it about 3 months. Fat chance.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I can answer my own question regarding this. 

This years brew was made  using honey instead of sugar. The honey has added flavour which changes the result- seems to distract from the Damson.

Its a very cloudy liquid which I do not have the ability to filter. It wont go thru a coffee filter and cheesecloth still leaves particulates.

Some drips that I left exposed to air for a day or so turned into a jelly like consistency.

There's a limit to how much ice-cream with Damson Gin topping a person can consume.

So I have tried it.......but wont be repeating

• Like 1

It’s feijoa season at the moment so I have put together the following recipe:

in a sealable 3kg container/jar

1kg sugar

1kg feijoa guts (tedious with the small ones)

1.3lt ethanol 40% (distilled from a less than acceptable home brew Riwaka) (sub vodka)

Shake everyday until the sugar is dissolved, then leave for as long as possible (not usually that long). Rack off to leave all the sediment behind. Sometimes worth doing this twice. 

This produces a thick, sweet feijoa liqueur. Delicious, warming (particularly the cockles), moorish and makes you like people you don’t usually like. Though, in my experience, this goes for all alcoholic drinks. So, not all that necessary to add it here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

It’s feijoa season at the moment so I have put together the following recipe:

in a sealable 3kg container/jar

1kg sugar

1kg feijoa guts (tedious with the small ones)

1.3lt ethanol 40% (distilled from a less than acceptable home brew Riwaka) (sub vodka)

Shake everyday until the sugar is dissolved, then leave for as long as possible (not usually that long). Rack off to leave all the sediment behind. Sometimes worth doing this twice. 

This produces a thick, sweet feijoa liqueur. Delicious, warming (particularly the cockles), moorish and makes you like people you don’t usually like. Though, in my experience, this goes for all alcoholic drinks. So, not all that necessary to add it here. 

what amount of honey would you use to swap out the sugar

2 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

what amount of honey would you use to swap out the sugar

Same as sugar. So 1kg or so. Definitely not an exact science... more of an art. 

But as @Mummzie mentioned, the honey will cause excess sediment. Which isn’t the end of the world, you just need to rack it off after it has settled and you will probably lose a little bit more than when using sugar. 

Post edit...

The ratios are usually 1:1:1 by weight for these recipes but I like to add a bit more alcohol to tone down the sweetness (definitely no other reasons...). 

• Like 1