Jump to content

Warre bait hive surprise


Timw
 Share

Recommended Posts

Yesterday I placed 2 Warre hives on the carport roof and baited with 1 drop of lemongrass oil on a paper towel in a small snap lock bag. Soon after a few nosed bees were checking them out. 
Today is fine and 20C and after lunch I looked up to see an airborne swarm around them- 10 min later they appeared to be making themselves at home. Could be from my busy top bar but not obviously so looking through the window. Also bees looking to be in both Warres on the roof. So what's going on? 2 queens or just trying to decide on which one to settle in  - if indeed they plan to stay!

roof traps.jpg

IMG_5662_Moment(2)_Moment.jpg

Swarm Oct18.jpg

white warre catch.jpg

warre 2 roof .jpg

IMG_5683 (2).jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

They were up there in the vague hope of catching a swarm. Apparantly successful. Not sure whether to leave them there. My original intent was to have roof hives on the small 1/2 section. Wise counsel suggested unwise forva beginner. A couple of years of experience I’m much calmer and confident. So I’m reconsidering. Otherwise will relocate in the next 2 days

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Timw said:

Sure was @M4tt assuming they stay. what’re thoughts on my idea to leave them up there?

Absolutely fine if you’re confident safely  working up there .

I’d put them on something that’s going to insulate them from all the heat coming off that iron as we head into summer 

Edited by M4tt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Timw said:

 what’re thoughts on my idea to leave them up there?

It wouldn’t be where I would choose to leave a hive. 

Considerations

height factor...how safe is the roof? 

the logistics of going up and down a ladder, suited up, carrying gear...

oh darn I need ....

weather exposure, maybe 

as the hives get heavier, getting the boxes down again

anf if the bees get ansy, how quickly can you retreat 

hmmmm

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Absolutely fine if you’re confident safely  working up there .

I’d put them on something that’s going to insulate them from all the heat coming off that iron as we head into summer 

That said , I think you’ll find everything a whole heck of a lot more pleasant on the ground? 

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Beefriendly said:

It wouldn’t be where I would choose to leave a hive. 

Considerations

height factor...how safe is the roof? 

the logistics of going up and down a ladder, suited up, carrying gear...

oh darn I need ....

weather exposure, maybe 

as the hives get heavier, getting the boxes down again

anf if the bees get ansy, how quickly can you retreat 

hmmmm

 

Also remember the weight of a full hive on the roof.  Can the roof support over 100 Kg plus in such a small center. (0.25 sq m) Plus the weight of the beekeeper.  I would not want to be around if the roof decided to give way.

 

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My plan to relocate this captured swarm (captured last weekend) to a friends house has been delayed a week while their house exterior is being cleaned. Their house is about 800m as the crow (or ?) flies. 

 

The plan is to move it tomorrow or Saturday evening. The weather is pretty awful- AKL. My question- is that distance a problem for this newly hived swarm???

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Timw said:

My plan to relocate this captured swarm (captured last weekend) to a friends house has been delayed a week while their house exterior is being cleaned. Their house is about 800m as the crow (or ?) flies. 

 

The plan is to move it tomorrow or Saturday evening. The weather is pretty awful- AKL. My question- is that distance a problem for this newly hived swarm???

 

It should be no problem. I move hives about 400 metres and get no drift back.

The awful weather may actually help. They’ll be hive bound for an extended period and will be forced to reorientate 

 

The best way is to try and find out . Put an empty box where they are now , after you move them, and see what comes back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...