TBH food supplies dilema

Timw

As suspected the TBH on inspection has very low honey stores - 1/4 of 3 combs  capped H (as opposed to the 2 Warres. They are consuming 1/2L of 2:1 syrup per day. There are ~ 3.5 full combs of capped brood with plenty of pollen going in and good numbers of bees.  @dansar talks recently of an autumn flow and I wonder if this applies to Auckland and will help maintain sufficient sustenance?

Q. We are away 2 weeks from April 9 and I wonder if that period without supplementary feeding is a problem? This hive didn't survive last season (current colony this season's swarm) due to inexperience and queen issues however I wonder if the poor honey production in comparison to the 2 Warres is related to location. The TBH is west facing at the back of the carport and doesn't get morning sun  - in fact is relative shaded till mid afternoon (foreground in pic).  The Warres are north facing on the deck and upstairs balcony with all day sun. 

Q I am considering could relocating the TBH to the deck (see pic - in place of empty Warre on deck RHS) some 8 metres distance away. Is this a sensible plan and would it need to be to be a staged move??

TBH-Warrre .jpg

3 hours ago, Timw said:

As suspected the TBH on inspection has very low honey stores - 1/4 of 3 combs  capped H (as opposed to the 2 Warres. They are consuming 1/2L of 2:1 syrup per day. There are ~ 3.5 full combs of capped brood with plenty of pollen going in and good numbers of bees.  @dansar talks recently of an autumn flow and I wonder if this applies to Auckland and will help maintain sufficient sustenance?

Q. We are away 2 weeks from April 9 and I wonder if that period without supplementary feeding is a problem? This hive didn't survive last season (current colony this season's swarm) due to inexperience and queen issues however I wonder if the poor honey production in comparison to the 2 Warres is related to location. The TBH is west facing at the back of the carport and doesn't get morning sun  - in fact is relative shaded till mid afternoon (foreground in pic).  The Warres are north facing on the deck and upstairs balcony with all day sun. 

Q I am considering could relocating the TBH to the deck (see pic - in place of empty Warre on deck RHS) some 8 metres distance away. Is this a sensible plan and would it need to be to be a staged move??

TBH-Warrre .jpg

I would be moving them out of the shaded area to the sunny side. You have enough time to do it before you go away. Do you have varroa treatments in? Also it would pay to inspect and make sure that the bees are infact using/storing the syrup rather than it being robbed out by your colonies in the Warre hives.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dansar said:

I would be moving them out of the shaded area to the sunny side. You have enough time to do it before you go away. Do you have varroa treatments in? Also it would pay to inspect and make sure that the bees are infact using/storing the syrup rather than it being robbed out by your colonies in the Warre hives.

I have started the move. There was some evidence of wet comb near the fed access but robbing is s possibility. There’s no aparent fighting and the bees were calm on the combs but I’m not sure what else to look for. I haven’t reduced the entrance (3 holes) thinking that could restrict reorientation. I’m treating fortnightly with OA vaporiser. 

Yes, stage the move over time.  Don't be tempted to inspect the hive too often, this could encourage robbing.  If you open it, recommend early in the morning, when there is less bee activity.  Don't rely on a possible honey flow.  If this hive is consuming 1-2 liters a day, then you should see this getting stored in frames.  Feed them plenty  Can't say how much as I don't know hive strength.  

If getting robbed you could see bits of wax lying on the floor or near entrance.  Wax torn away as bees rob the honey.  Sometimes you can get 'quiet' robbing, where the hive is getting robbed slowly over time and it's so obvious.  Though it will have little stored. 

Like I said, if you have fed them say 10 liters, this should be easy to see as stored food.  If not then maybe it's getting robbed.  

"waste of time' is not that helpful aye.  But agree with him. 

• 3 weeks later...